This picture from a guide book of about 1920 shows the Mill Street entrance.
Since their Edwardian heyday the gardens have had mixed fortunes. The cannon and the bandstand probably went for scrap in the Second World War. The gardens were widened probably at about the same time and a pitch and put course was created at the car park end . Later, rose beds had pride of place, then cut backs and floods left their mark until the Friends of Victoria Pleasure Gardens began to breathe life back into the site.
The opening was a highlight of the day of celebrations of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The main event took place by the Gloucester Road where a gate was ceremonially unlocked.
The bandstand was first mooted in 1904......